« Home | Brief Background About Myself » | Blog Goals » 

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 

Bubbles, Buddies and Business

Opening Thoughts: I just started browsing around for some ideas to blog about and I stumbled across two blogs that gave me some inspiration. I wasn't sure how to approach recording each so that it would benefit you as a reader as well as myself as the blogger, so I listed the thing I learned in bulletpoints, included a link to the page(s) that contained the information and left my remarks on the closing thoughts. I am open to format and content suggestions/feedback from fellow established bloggers.

Bubbles

  • The world has been blowing bubbles for atleast 400 years.
  • The average shelf life of toys is less than 18 months.
  • There is a market for bubbles and research that goes into making bubbles last longer as well as making them bigger and even adding color to bubbles.
Original Source: The 11-Year Quest to Create Disapearing Colored Bubbles - Popular Science
Original Blog: Simplicity

Buddies and Business
  • There are panels that research the differences between going into partnerships with friends versus strangers.
  • The Bible is used to back up the con of business-with-a-buddy.
    • "Proverbs 29:21 "If a man pampers his servant from youth, he will bring grief in the end."
      If you pamper an employee because he is your friend, you will bring greif to yourself when he will not follow direction." - Anyonymous Comment
  • Founding a company is hardest in the startup process, most poeple have a hard time hanging in when they have to sacrifice time and money. This goes for any business founders, friends or strangers.
  • Sometime a friendship will help the business and strengthen, sometimes it will destroy the business and destroy the friendship, sometimes it helps business but hurts the friendship and vice versa.
Original Blog: Noam's "Founding Fathers" blog

Closing Thoughts: I'm thinking that it is too broad of a topic to decide if starting a business with a friend is a good or bad thing, there are too many variables. I'm thinking as long as the friends setup some boundaries between eachother to protect their friendship first, then work on their roles and responsibilities in the business it should work.

Another key component in starting a succesful business with a friend would be integrity. It's difficult sometimes to confront a friend about something that needs to be addressed in hopes to keep the friendship going smooth. Same goes with strangers-now-business-partners, some people may want to build a relationship with the stranger by letting go of issues as not to confront the other and damage the new relationship.

As for the bubbles story, I am not sure why I found it so fascinating, but, I enjoyed reading most of the article on the newly developing bubbles. It not only tuned me into a new market, but also inspired me to keep my eye out for colored bubbles in the future. Cool stuff, I would prolly buy it atleast for a gag-gift sometime.